Thursday, May 12, 2005

Closing Time

As I walked back to my car this morning I realized I was looking at the Sleeping Giant - something I'd taken for granted for the past four years - for what will likely be one of the last times in my life. I've walked in its shadow hundreds of times without even giving it much of a notice at all.

It's one of the things that first attracted me to Quinnipiac when I came here in fifth grade for a leadership conference. Amazing how I've had a connection to this place for eleven years now... it defintely doesn't feel like it. The Sleeping Giant is an awe-inspiring sight in the morning, as it towers over the School of Business with its red, gold, and green leaves catching the glimmers of the morning sun. To me the Sleeping Giant is a part of Quinnipiac. It represents the enormous possibility of all of us and the school's ability to loom large in the lives of the students who go to school there. Its graceful presence and might is something I'll miss when I leave Hamden for now, but hopefully not forever, in a couple days.

As I sit here writing this I've just gone through a relatively momentous occasion in what is otherwise a fairly mundane life. I've just returned from the last final I'll ever take in college, and I'm happy to report I'm confident I passed it. It's one of those bittersweet moments in life when you're glad it's behind you but you don't want it to end. I have to admit, a 40 question multiple choice exam with two short essays should not have taken me an hour to complete, but despite my hand cramping up I just couldn't bring myself to put the pen down and stop writing this one last time. So it's over, but it's not. I've still got one essay due in Blackboard's Digital Dropbox tomorrow at five, but it's not something that's worrying me too much. Until then I'm in senior purgatory, which is kind of fun.


Okay, after three roughshod hours of sleep last night I should probably get back to bed. I'm running the show at Shaw's this afternoon so I'll need all the sleep I can get. More on that later. Until then, in the words of Garrison Keillor:

Be Well;
Do Good Work;
And Keep in Touch.

No comments: